The Amateur Baseball Draft is scheduled for Thursday June 6-Saturday June 8, with the entire first round occurring on Thursday night. The draft is scheduled to begin at 7PM ET.
After news broke earlier this week of Jonathan Gray testing positive for Adderall at a pre-draft program held by Major League Baseball, we have switched up our top 10 picks.
The rest of the first-round selections remain the same from our first mock draft to this one.
Gray will not be suspended once he begins his pro career, according to sources, but he will be subject to further testing down the road.
Houston will pick first for the second consecutive season and is rumored to be focusing on a power hitter from North Carolina in third baseman Colin Moran.
Well, without further adieu, here is our second mock draft. We might publish a third version on Thursday morning just hours prior to the draft taking place.
Here are our picks:
- Houston Astros: Colin Moran (3B-North Carolina)
- Chicago Cubs: Mark Appel (RHP-Stanford)
- Colorado Rockies: Jonathan Gray (RHP-Oklahoma)
- Minnesota Twins: Sean Manaea (LHP-Indiana State)
- Cleveland Indians: Kohl Stewart (RHP-St. Pius X HS, Texas)
- Miami Marlins: Kris Bryant (3B-San Diego)
- Boston Red Sox: Clint Frazier (OF-Loganville HS, GA)
- Kansas City Royals: Ryne Stanek (RHP-Arkansas)
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Trey Ball (LHP-New Castle Chrysler HS, IN)
- Toronto Blue Jays: Braden Shipley (RHP-Nevada)
- New York Mets: DJ Peterson (1B-New Mexico)
- Seattle Mariners: Austin Meadows (OF-Grayson HS, GA)
- San Diego Padres: Reese McGuire (C-Kentwood HS, WA)
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Hunter Renfroe (OF-Mississippi State)
- Arizona Diamondbacks: JP Crawford (SS-Lakewood HS, CA)
- Philadelphia Phillies: Hunter Harvey (RHP-Bandys HS, NC)
- Chicago White Sox: Austin Wilson (OF-Stanford)
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Marco Gonzales (LHP-Gonzaga)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Jonathan Crawford (RHP-Florida)
- Detroit Tigers: Chris Anderson (RHP-Jacksonville)
- Tampa Bay Rays: Jonathan Denney (C-Yukon HS, OK)
- Baltimore Orioles: Aaron Judge (OF-Fresno State)
- Texas Rangers: Devin Williams (RHP-Hazelwood West HS, MO)
- Oakland Athletics: Dominic Smith (1B/OF-Serra HS, CA)
- San Francisco Giants: Matt Krook (LHP-St. Ignatius Prep, CA)
- New York Yankees: Rob Kaminsky (LHP/OF-St. Joseph HS, NJ)
- Cincinnati Reds: Alex Gonzalez (RHP-Oral Roberts)
- St. Louis Cardinals: Nick Ciuffo (C-Lexington HS, SC)
- Tampa Bay Rays: Billy McKinney (OF-Plano West HS, TX)
- Texas Rangers: Phil Bickford (RHP-Oaks Christian HS, CA)
- Atlanta Braves: Eric Jagielo (3B/OF-Notre Dame)
- New York Yankees: Tim Anderson (SS-East Central HS, MS)
- New York Yankees: Kyle Serrano (RHP-Farragut HS, TN)
Let us know your thoughts about our changes in the top 10 picks of the draft in our comments section at the bottom of this page.
Jim is the creator and editor of Rule 4 Draft, Rule 5 Draft and owner of JAVFreelancing. He coached baseball for five years, three at his former high school (Holy Cross in Delran, NJ) and two at prominent Division III program Rowan University in Glassboro, NJ as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. He has worked for the Courier-Post in Cherry Hill, NJ; Metro Networks in Bala Cynwyd, PA; and was the play-by-play announcer for the Camden Riversharks of the Independent Atlantic League of Professional Baseball for two seasons (2007-2008) on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM, the student-run radio station at Rowan University. Jim earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications and minor in Journalism from Rowan University in 2008. While in school he was the Assistant Sports Director at WGLS for two years and the Sports Director for one year. He also covered the football, baseball, softball and both basketball teams for the school newspaper 'The Whit.' Jim lives in New Jersey with his wife Nicole, son Tony and dog Phoebe. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.